Do you have leftover holiday food? Are you worried the clusters in the kitchen attract bugs? Here are some tips to keep pests off your kitchen. Prevention is always a first line of defense against pests.
- Immediately wipe up any crumbs or spills from counter-tops, tables, floors and shelves.
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles.
- Only purchase food in sealed packages that show no sign of damage.
- Add a bay leaf to canisters and packages of dry goods like flour, rice and other grains- their pungent scent repels many pantry pests
- Check expiration dates on baking ingredients before use
- If you keep fresh fruit on the counter, check it often for signs of over-ripening or decay. As female fruit flies lay an average of 500 eggs on the surface of fermenting fruit, it’s best to dispose of the fruit in outdoor trash cans to prevent those eggs from hatching in your indoor trash.
- Run your garbage disposal regularly.
- Don’t let dirty dishes pile up and stand in the sink for long periods of time.
- Don’t leave pet food and water bowls sit out for long periods of time.
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors and repair damaged screens.
- Eliminate all moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains.
- Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of the home and around the kitchen, especially around stove and water pipes.
- If you suspect a pest infestation in your home, contact a licensed pest professional from power pest control to inspect, identify and treat the problem.
Read more : http://www.pestworld.org/news-and-views/pest-articles/articles/keeping-kitchens-pest-free/